Going Back in Time


We arrived in Shreveport, Louisiana this morning. Vacation #2.

Shreveport is where it began - the life of Riley & Sharon as one. We met here, eloped to Marshall, Texas on the 27th of July 1971, informed my parents that evening we had gotten married and 38 years later we are back.

A few side notes before the story.

First - eloping may seem very romantic and I suppose at that time it was. I have been a parent for many years now - and I can imagine what my parents went through that night.

Second - Riley & I did renew our vows - in church - the full wedding bit - 25 years later. Dad got to walk a daughter down the aisle for the very first time.

Third - I recommend number 2 all in all. A marriage is an event to be shared with family and friends. It's a celebration of love, commitment and proclaiming to the world - this is it.

Coming back evokes quite a few feelings. One of which startles me - I remember so little. We took a drive to Barksdale Air Force Base. At the tender age of 19, I was still living with my parents and dad was stationed at the base. We drove through base housing and darn if I couldn't remember the name of the street where we lived. We drove around the vicinity of the base ... still not much of a memory going on there either.

On the other hand, Riley remembers much. He was a jogger - oh yes, my my. It was his legs that got to me first. He would jog from Bossier Base to Barksdale on a regular basis - 7 miles all in all. Have to say - he still has great legs. We drove along that part of the route he took.

Everything here is different. More highways - more shopping strips - more everything. We ate at a small place called "George's" (funny thing - there's a George's in Dayton we frequent) - they have been in business for over 40 years. Did we eat here 38 years ago? No. The greasy spoon restaurant we frequented on Saturday mornings is no more. Riley worked 3rd shift at a newspaper plant, setting type. I worked at a Credit Union. Saturday mornings around 1am we would be eating breakfast together - always at "our place". Sometimes afterwards we would go to the airport and watch the planes take off & land. With security as it is, that is not even a possibility anymore.

Times change.

I am glad we are here. I know we are tremendously blessed to be able to take this trip. I am looking forward to the next 7 days with my dearest friend & husband, Riley. I look forward to taking photos of our adventure.

Oh yes - the photo. This is the old Shreveport bridge heading into Shreveport from the Dixie Inn. Do I remember this bridge? Not a bit. But I rather liked the photo, so there you go.

In the meantime, I quilt.


Angel45402

Comments

Great Story and happy for you 2 go back in time .....enjoy

Popular posts from this blog

Encouragement......

Pay It Forward...The gift that keeps on gifting.....

Ramblings of a Wife.....