Mother's Day and Other Things...

Yesterday was Mother's Day. I phoned my mom, wishing her a Happy Mother's Day. I listened to her accounting of her day so far - and that my brother was taking her & dad out to an early dinner and also my brother's wife and mother-in-law would be joining them. It was good to listen to Mom. She was clearly pleased over her day. My sister called her later and wished her the same. My husband made a call to his mom - and I could tell from his end of the conversation, she was having a very good Sunday.

This morning I came to the realization that I missed hearing from our two kids yesterday. They're married now & have their own family - and I hope daughter was honored on Mother's Day and that daughter-in-law was honored as well.

Early this morning, I realized I must have erased messages on my cell phone as I noticed a missed call from our son. An email inquiry to my son let me know that the erased message was a Mother's Day call & I didn't get to hear it. Saturday, dear husband & I spent a good part of the day with our daughter, son #2 and granddaughter. All in all - a good weekend. However, this is the first year that I didn't hear a Happy Mother's Day from either one on Sunday - and I had no idea it would give me pause. Years ago, I missed calling Mom on Mother's Day ... and dad surely let me know about it a few days later via his weekly letter. I had sent a present, as always, and a card...but it was the call that mom really was looking forward to. I had no idea that it meant that much - until now.

After much self-inspection, I realized that God has a way of using disappointments to point out failings of my own. It is the small things that do count more than the big things. How many times have I failed to make a call, send an email, write a thank you note - not an obligatory one but just to write a "thanks...you're great" note, and failing to put aside something I'm working on so I could listen to someone who needs to talk. More times than I care to admit have I not taken the time to do the small things.

So while I had a very quiet Mother's Day, I realized I'm a still a work in progress, thanks to God's great love. All in all, a better weekend than I realized.

Angel45402

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Encouragement......

Pay It Forward...The gift that keeps on gifting.....

Ramblings of a Wife.....