After Retirement

I have come to the conclusion that I am not comfortable with change - at least not multiple changes.

In Dec 07 I retired after 32+ years. In Feb 08, Riley took a job in Iraq. Two monumental events and now months later I find myself becoming somewhat at odds with myself.

I worked in an office where there was a lot of communication. My entire day was spent talking - phone, email or good ole fashioned person-to-person (which seems to be a lost art - conversation between two people). I would have lunch a couple of times a month with friends or coworkers (oh yes, there is a difference there). At the end of the day, I would have my closest friend, my husband, to converse with on the way home and sometimes throughout the evening.

It's been a startling revelation to discover that my life is no longer one of spending time with others - and I've found that being alone 7/24 is difficult at times. It was enough to spend five days a week talking to people and now that's gone. It's startling to discover I never took the time to cultivate friends outside of the work environment. And this is from one who scoffed at workaholics. Not a comfortable discovery.

So now it's time to travel down a different road ..... one to making friends without benefit of common ground, such as in the work place. I don't suppose there's a place that makes road maps for situations such as this. I understand now why those who live alone put their energies into a pet. I understand now why those who live alone find themselves going to places where there are a lot of people. I understand a lot of things now. God sure has a way of making one think differently. With understanding comes wisdom, so says His word...and I am beginning to believe that from a whole different perspective.

Yes, I have many blessings. I have a sister who lives just about within a long arm's reach. I have a son and his family who live close by. I have a daughter and her family who lives within a ninety minute drive. I have a husband who will give up sleep just to talk to me via Skype or email. And there are two women, both former coworkers, I can count as friends, whom I continue to keep in touch. So, the blessings are there....and when I find that road, my blessings will continue to grow.

Now to figure out how to take that first step down that road....

Angel45402

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Encouragement......

Pay It Forward...The gift that keeps on gifting.....

Ramblings of a Wife.....