2019: Flexibility - 7 January 2019

For the past couple of years (five?  six?  three?), I have chosen a word for the year.  Not even sure why this yearly "thing" happened....or even if it made a difference.  Looking back, probably had no impact whatsoever.  However, this year....

Flexibility.  It is now the 7th of January and I've come to the conclusion this word is revealing a portion of my character that does need some work.  Rather than go into great detail (surprise), suffice to share that it's a startling revelation and it isn't pleasant.  When something needs to be changed within, it is never pleasant.  

Moving on.....

SQS (Sharon's Quilting Studio) underwent a major (to me) organization.  What started out as numbering the fabric bins....anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words.

First there was this....behind the closet door.  I sort of liked it.  Okay, it was a brilliant idea to move the cubbies into the closet....four fit very nicely.  This was half of the closet.......








And this was the other half of the closet.  
Pretty nifty....if you don't care for fabrics in your face, demanding to be used.  Closed closet doors and the fabric voices quit - or at least muffled.  

And lots and lots of junk extras were stored in front of the this extraordinary storage space.  Need a particular fabric?  Move out the extras to get to it.  That one particular fabric needed?  Always on the bottom shelf.  Yes, there was a light with a nice long chord to brighten up the darkness - but it sure didn't move the extras out of the way.  


Then an idea came to me (always to be taken with a grain of salt and much caution).  I have bins.  Lots of bins.  Okay - maybe not enough bins (more on that later) so why not number each bin and each bin would hold an unfinished project.  At least an unfinished project that was nowhere near the quilting stage).  So.....

Behind closet door #1 (no, they're not numbered....) now became this......













And behind closet door #2 - oh heck, the other side of the closet became this.....





Bonus:  All those extras?  Heck, store them.  It's not like I can't move a sewing machine or two (or three or four) to get to a bin.  

And those numbered bins?  Two of them were combined to hold panels in one and the other, all table runners.  It's amazing what one can do to avoid having to use more space beyond the closet.  

These two closets now hold quite a few unfinished projects....most of which are one per bin.  


And fabric?  Brought back into the open.....

Interestingly enough...all of the batiks fit in this space - and then some.  

And yes, there's always the concern (however, not mine) that fabrics displayed in sunlight will fade them.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  





 Oh yes, more fabric now stored here:














Still have some odds and ends of fabric to store...but there's room.  Surprisingly enough, there is still room.


And then the sewing area was tackled....

From this....... hmm, okay so this is not the best photo of what WAS....but if you squint real hard and tilt your head to the right, you may sew two tables in this photo.  One Mz Janome sits on and one to the left, creating a upside down L.  There you go - you can see it now.  NOTE TO SELF:  always take a good BEFORE photo.



So perhaps you did not see that 2nd table.  That's okay.  Now it looks like this....

Thread storage unit (thank you Ikea) replaced the 2nd table to the left of Mz Janome's resting place.  

And what I have left....(shudder).....

More bins to order....and in awhile (vague but that's what it is), this clutter will have its own space.  Just like the 2nd table has its own place now....



Things I have learned when reorganizing:

1.  I am not a plan ahead person.  If I think it, it gets moved.  Despite the fact that a 19" wide object will not fit into a 17" space.  

2.  I'm no longer in my 20s...heck not even double that comes close ..and moving stuff takes a lot of me.  A lot.  And we're not talking heavy duty moving stuff. Getting of bed this morning took a bit of effort.  

3.  It no longer bothers me that I probably will not finish all of those projects in those numbered bins.  Enjoy the journey - even if I don't reach my destination.

4.  This may not be my final reorganization.  And that is okay.

I'm sure there's a handful more of stuff I learned, but that is enough for now.

Hopefully I will grow into this Flexibility business.  One can always pray my character will strengthen.  Never know when God will tap me on the shoulder to tell me it's time to tackle something else.  He'll equip me when it's time...whenever that is.  

Flexibility.....

Sharon
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Encouragement......

Pay It Forward...The gift that keeps on gifting.....

Ramblings of a Wife.....