Backed into a Corner....22 January 2019

Okay, so I am taking a liberty or two with this "backed into a corner" bit.  

Quilt backings.

Oh, I long for the day when I believed the only way to back a quilt was to use muslin.  Pure, simple, off white muslin.  Easy to use, showed the threads beautifully if quilted correctly.  Showed the threads well if not quilted correctly.  


All this to say .... just the perfect batik in my stash to use as backing for Tilt-a-Square was just a tad short.  As in - a good 30 plus inches too short.  Okay, so I piece. For whatever reason, I discarded the idea to just piece together the various lengths of batiks on hand.    

Idea #2.   I pulled 7 different batiks and start cutting 10" squares.  Great idea for a backing.  I've done it before...and it worked out quite well. 

Until the thought of "just" 10" squares was a bit - well, uninspired.  Snap the fingers (did you hear it?), and viola - HSTs.  And the fun began.... "fun" being an understatement.

Three different layouts.....

 Nope....not it.  

Not it again....






And surely not it ....














I would write "back to square one" but that lacks a great deal of humor.  

I imagine one of these will just have to do.  Backed into a corner.  

Will use the first layout and just go with it.  It's a backing. Not a piece that will hang in a museum or even on someone's wall.  It will keep someone warm - and maybe even awake at night.  

What really takes the icing off the cake (is there really such a phrase??) - I made 42 of these and only 30 are needed.  How about looking at the other 12 to see if....

No.  No.   No.  When one is backed into a corner, the only way out is to weasel out of the corner and move on.  

Sometimes one just has to take the road less traveled...and go with the flow.  Or something like that.

All I know is this:  

Sometimes the simple is better (as in using 10" squares and forget the HSTs).  

A better design wall changes nothing.

Always take a photo of a layout before the blocks fall off.

Go with gut instinct and just do it.  Chances are, you'll never find validity in looking at Pinterest for a specific layout like the one you've created.

Finally - how could one possibly lose by using batiks?  It's always a win-win.

Ah quilting....the challenges, the daring, the adventurous, the wonderment .... and those quilts will always be welcomed when the temperatures dip below 32F.  

Do keep on quilting....but I will never make it a #1 priority in my life.  Kind of shows, eh?

Sharon



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Encouragement......

Pay It Forward...The gift that keeps on gifting.....

Ramblings of a Wife.....